Library Services for Online Metropolitan Students
The James B. Duke Memorial Library is pleased to provide service to Metropolitan online students. Since you are taking your classes through the JCSU Metropolitan College, the James B. Duke Memorial Library should serve as your first stop for doing library research. James B. Duke Memorial Library is committed to providing students and faculty in online learning programs with the services and resources needed to support their course requirements.
The Evening Instruction Librarian will serve as your Personal Librarian. Think of Personal Librarian as your library adviser – your “go-to” person for all things library-related. She may not always have all the answers, but can refer you to the appropriate support department or university contact.
- One-on-one consultations for research and special projects by phone, email, or through Google Hangout.
- Notification of new materials and resources tailored to student’s subject areas
- Research Guides (Metropolitan Libguides) for your major
- We have a host of Online Library Tutorials that cover research skills to get you started with your educational needs.
- Books and articles from journals not in the James B. Duke Memorial Library collection can be requested through our InterLibrary Loan Program. This network provides access to the holdings of thousands of other libraries worldwide.
- Remote access to electronic resources and services is provided through the James B. Duke Memorial Library website with access to the James B. Duke Memorial Library Catalog and Library Databases
We strongly encourage you to use the Library and hope you reach out with any questions or concerns.
Center for Information
Ask for an Instruction Librarian
Book Delivery Program
Materials held by the James B. Duke Memorial Library will be mailed to online students who reside outside the Charlotte-Mecklenburg- area. The James B. Duke Memorial Library incurs the cost of mailing materials; patrons are responsible for returning items to the Library by their due date. Patrons are also responsible for return postage, but the Library supplies a return mailing label.
Books are loaned to online students for a period of twenty-one days. The loan period begins from the date the materials are mailed from the library. Renewals of library materials are allowed as long as there has been no request for that material by any other patron. Patrons may renew their materials online by logging into the “My Account” feature in the library catalog.
Materials that usually can be mailed:
Materials that usually cannot be mailed:
Special collections materials
Bound or single issue periodicals
Materials on reserve
Interlibrary loan materials
To request books or other materials, complete the Book Request Delivery Form.