The James B. Duke Memorial Library supports the academic needs of JCSU students, faculty, staff, alumnae/i, and guests by connecting Library users to the discovery and thoughtful use of informational resources.
Our Library offers a modern and comfortable environment that encourages student learning. Quiet study areas, group study rooms, the computer area with IMacs and PC’s, meeting rooms and the Faculty Sandbox.
Borrowing privileges are open to all students (undergraduate, graduate, online and Metro College), faculty, and staff who have a valid Johnson C. Smith University picture ID and to library partners with a reciprocal agreement. Under the reciprocal agreement, all student must complete a registration form to receive borrowing privileges with proper identification. Online students can request books and DVDs by mail, however, they are responsible for adhering to same check-out policy.
Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- Must have a valid JCSU ID to check out library resources.
- A total of 30 books may be checked out at any given time.
- Books can be checked out for 30 days.
- One renewal is allowed, if no hold has been placed.
- If the student has a fine over $10.00 no items can be checked out. (Books, DVDs, Tablets, or Reserves)
- Students may check out DVDs for 5 days. Students who checked out DVDs will incur the cost of replacing the DVD if it is lost or damaged and any late fees.
- Fines are $.25 a day per book for general collection books. Maximum Fine is $7.50 per book.
- Reserves are $1.00 per hour, per item.
- DVDs are $1.00 per day, per item.
- Tablets are $5.00 per hour
- All users are charged for replacement of all items if lost. Replacement cost is the cost of the item plus a $25.00 processing fee.
Non-circulating Items (These items are for in-house use only)
Periodical and Reference Materials
Reserve Materials for in-house use for 2 hours
Tablets for in-house use for 2 hours
- In-house use only located in the Archives.
- 10 cents per page is charged for copying via PaperCut.
- Copies are $.10 per page for single and $.20 for double-sided.
- Copier only accepts dollar bills, quarters, dimes and nickels.
- There are three print stations in the library; 1st floor has the STPLibRM115 Copier/Printer Rm115 and the 2nd floor has the STP Library Pool and STPLibRM215 printer.
- All users must have a PaperCut account or card to print in the library.
- PaperCut cards can be purchased at the Center of Information Desk.
- Copyright laws and University policies and procedures govern copying materials.