Renovated in September 1999, the James B. Duke Memorial Library is a 56,553- square foot facility with all of the amenities to support an independent and collaborative learning environment for undergraduate and graduate students. The library facility has two floors, with handicapped access and an elevator. The first floor includes a gallery, exhibit space, the Center of Information, reference collection, journal collection, eight individual study rooms, printing station, two student lounge areas, computer stations, open floor seating, and KoKoMo’s Coffee Café. Technical services and the librarian offices are located on the first floor. The second floors house the Black Heritage Room, the Inez Moore Parker Archives and Research Center, President’s Conference Room, Library Director’s office, general collection, four group study rooms, computer station (both Macs and PCs), open floor seating, two lounge areas, the Faculty Instructional Technology Sandbox, Multimedia room and the Information Technology (IT) Helpdesk.
The library was designed to support technology, and provide informal spaces for students to work individually as well as in a team environment. The library facility has the following features:
- 430 seats (27% of 1,595 FTE), ALA standard: 25%
- 322 data ports (74% of the library seating capacity)
- Archives and Research Center (2,047 sq. ft.) The archive has a total shelving capacity over 1,260 square feet.
- Faculty Technology Sandbox (900 sq. ft.)
- Modern Communications Room for video/data projection (1,012 sq. ft.) This room, which is equipped with video/data projection equipment, provides seating for up to fifty-two students.
- IT Help Desk (2,090 sq. ft)
- President’s Conference Room (600 sq. ft.) This room is equipped with a data/video projector, and data ports that connect to the University’s network.
- 10 study rooms (6 individual and 4 group study rooms) the study rooms are equipped with data ports that connect to the University’s network.
- Two student lounges (600 sq. ft. each) the lounges provide comfortable seating for students, and are equipped with data ports.
- Entry Gallery (1,682 sq. ft. with 92 feet of exhibit & 36 feet of glazed wall)