The James B. Duke Memorial Library Launched a Live Chat Feature on its Website
Need a fast answer to a question? Try the new live chat by using the chat widget on our website. Just click the icon, and enter your name, email, and question in the box to get started!
In fall 2019 the James B. Duke Memorial Library launched its live chat feature on the library website. JCSU librarians staff the live chat service to assist patrons with questions about locating resources, APA citation style, research assignments, and more. This service is available during the regular semester hours on the following days and times: Monday-Thursday, 6:00 PM-9:00 PM Eastern Time
While librarians staff this service, full-time library staff may provide backup service. Please note that chat services are not available on weekends, federal holidays, and semester breaks such as Martin Luther King. Jr. Holiday, Easter Break, Spring Break, Fall Break, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, Independence Day, etc.
At the end of the chat session, you will have the option to fill out a survey about your chat reference experience. To help us make the service better, we welcome all feedback, particularly your personal comments. If desired, once your chat session has ended a complete transcript (including all web links discussed) can be sent to the email address you provided when you submitted your question. The librarian will also send any follow-up information via email to the address you provided when you initiated the chat session.
Guidelines for Use
- Use the chat service to ask questions about library resources, research, and library policies that can be answered in brief chat responses. To ask questions requiring lengthy, detailed, or immediate responses, please call or email the Center of Information Desk or a librarian to set up a one-on-one consultation (in-person/by phone/virtually) or stop by the library for assistance from a librarian or library staff.
- Some inquiries require further research or referrals to a subject specialist. If a question is too complex to be handled via chat message, the chat librarian may ask the patron to contact the Center of Information Desk or a specific librarian via telephone or email.
- Remember that your question is being answered by a librarian who might be assisting other patrons simultaneously. There may be delays in response time as other requests/questions comes in. We will make every attempt to notify you when there is a cause for delay.
- Common courtesies are expected and appreciated.
- Harassment and misconduct of any type will not be tolerated.
Who May Use This Service?
Chat is available to all JCSU students, faculty, staff, and alumni, but questions from patrons not affiliated with JCSU will also be accepted. Only current students, faculty, and staff will have off-campus access to licensed databases and online resources.
The James B. Duke Memorial Library is dedicated to protecting your privacy. Providing your email address allows us to send you a transcript of the session, or to send you additional information related to your question. We will not share your email address or use it for other purposes. Transcripts of chats are kept for quality control and training purposes only.